Thursday, August 27, 2009

Can I get more toothbrushes? We have a lot of cousins.

Tonight my mama and I are going to a bridal shower at my church honoring pretty much the sweetest, most adorable person I know (apart from my grandmothers). She is wonderful and everybody loves her, as evidenced by the fact that the invitation to the shower has twelve names listed below "Hosted by:". Twelve! That's how many people were in my entire wedding party, including me and Mike. And this shower is just the one for her church friends! She'll probably have a work shower and a girlfriends shower that are each hosted by just as many people. She is THAT special. She really is. I don't want to talk too much about her, because it's not my story to tell, but nobody is more deserving of all the love and happiness in the world than she is, and I am so so excited. My excitement is compounded by the fact that we go to a Baptist church, and the shower is from 6:30 to 8:30. And you know what that means. Hangover!

Oh, I'm kidding. There aren't even enough of those wee plastic communion cups to get a child drunk. I don't think grape juice has a very high alcohol content anyway. But I'm going to pay attention to all the reactions from all the presents and see what everyone thinks is the best so we can try to establish a Customary Wedding Gift. Is there something you usually get people? It's tiring having to go through a registry every time, seeing what's left and making sure it doesn't cost more than what they gave us. For this shower, we did a recipe album and measuring cups and spoons and some dish towels and an oven mitt. We got the measuring cups (and spoons) at Kohl's, and now they're all I can think about. They include the weird sizes you don't usually get, AND the measuring cups come with an egg separator! I am envisioning terrible things accidentally happening to my plain old four red measuring cups.

Then in September is the wedding! And, we have a lots of birthdays. Our friend Johnny, our friend Meredith, my mama, Mike's sister Lori, Granny, and our friend Rich. And I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. Plus Mike and I have evidently gone crazy with the acidic and sugary foods since we shacked up together, because we walked away from the dentist earlier this month with a combined 6 cavities. Basically, we are fixing to be horrendously cash poor. For the rest of our lives. Nobody tells you that when you get married, your birthday budget is going to have to expand. Or more accurately, once your friends get married, your birthday presents from them are going to get a lot crappier. And forget Christmas. Just forget it. Hope you have fun fighting over who gets the mint-waxed dental floss and who gets the sensitivity toothpaste.

No comments: